How is it? Feels pretty awesome, actually.
Top 5 Perks (so far):
1. Work Schedule – No 8AM meetings, midday naps acceptable/encouraged, and major flexibility! Sure we sometimes work late into the night or on the weekend, but we enjoy our “time-off” whenever we want. (and see #5)
2. Work Location – Anywhere, including outdoors!
3. Puppy Time! ——————–>>>>>
4. Time together/Working together
5. Loving it – Working towards your personal goals is the best! “If you love your work, you’ll never work a day in your life.”
It’s been a pretty busy week, too!
The past week as been about setting ourselves up: healthcare, filing business paperwork, talking about strategies, and planning.
Major Milestones Accomplished:
1. Healthcare – When you have a full-time job with benefits, you can kind of take healthcare for granted. And why not? Your employer heavily subsidizes your monthly payment, so you pay next to nothing for coverage in relation to what a self-employed or self-insured person would pay. Big eye-opener! We are now signed up with our own Obamacare, which was just as laborious as you’ve probably heard on the news. And while our monthly premium is almost 10 times what our insurance through Dow was, we’re still within our budget. More on the whole process later 🙂
2. Business Paperwork – As you know, part of this adventure is starting our own business(es). This week we got Windtrap Digital Media, LLC. and it’s Employer Identification Number (EIN) all official! We’ve also go our FAA Exemption application submitted to get official approval to use drones for compensation and hire. Yee-ha!
3. Strategies – we have so many ideas! And we are so excited to have the time to pursue them. Nonetheless, we are still approaching our new ventures with a business mindset: who is our audience? what value are we bringing to them? what is our overall purpose? While we had these ideas before, we are still in “start up” mode – testing and re-calibrating until something clicks! (Caitlin just loves this stuff)
4. Planning – Still lots to do with prepping our fifth-wheel, packing, and making ready to depart. We’ve also had some new things come onto our radar – friends weddings, Drone Conferences, new connections – that we’ve been trying to fit onto our map and schedule after we depart. Good complications 🙂
Let us know if you have any questions about what is going on! We’ve been a bit “heads down in the trenches” getting some of this stuff done so that the adventure can truly begin 🙂 Would love to hear from you.